5 importan even from my country
1492 - Christopher Columbus visits the island, which he names Hispaniola
- This is important because it shows that Columbus was who officialy name this Country.
One important event was in 1492 that the island became officially known. when christopher columbus discovered the island. This event started the documented history of the Dominican Republic and also a very quick end to native Taino population.
- This is important becuase it shows that after columbus discovered the island people were knowing it more. Also when columbus when there the population of taino dicrease.
Up until 1697, Hispaniola was fully under control of the Spanish king but then French explorers arrived and claimed western part of the island, which remained separated from the Spanish part (currently the Dominican Republic) and became the Republic of Haiti in 1804. French brought in hundreds of thousands of slaves from Africa and Saint Domingue – as it was called at the time became the richest colony in the Caribbean.
- This is important because it shows that french actually separate the country and named that part saint domingue, which is call today haiti. French brought african slave. That was the rich conlony in the caribbean.
The beginnings of the Dominican Republic were characterized by unsettling political disputes and civil war that lasted for 70 years. As if the fight for the leadership within was not enough, the disputes continued with Haiti and Dominican Republic lost its independence, returning the power to the Spanish throne. The independence was then regained in 1865 during the day which is commemorated by the Dominicans as Restoration Day.
- This event is importantr because you can see that the Dominican Republic lost their power and Spanish gain it, but then by 1865 you can see they gain it back, and this day we call it Restauration day.
1844-Feb 27, Dominican Republic gained independence from Haiti (National Day
- This show the actually day that the dominican gained they independence.